Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A month to go!

With just under a month to go until I move, I'm trying to get in as much of the Twin Cities (my home) before heading away again for a few years. I've been doing a lot of biking around where I live, and one of my favorite places to bike is the trail along the Mississippi River between the Ford Parkway Bridge and Shadow Falls. Can't beat that view!

View along the Mississippi River at Shadow Falls Park, St. Paul, Minnesota
I'm standing atop the Platteville Limestone, which forms a bit of a cap or ledge over the underlying Glenwood Shale and St. Peter Sandstone. The layers form nice blocky steps on the way down, and if you look closely, some of them have brachiopod fossils. A great description of the park can be found here by the Equatorial Minnesota blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment