Tuesday, June 23, 2015

New Blog

"Come back with your PhD, or on it" - said the Minnesotan mother to her son as he left to the Temple (University).

Welcome! I decided to create this new blog in order to accomplish a few things:
  1. To share my experiences, from start to finish, of pursuing a PhD in Earth Science.
  2. To write about topics of interest to myself - namely, interesting areas of research, books, and research conferences.
  3. To keep myself motivated and provide a creative workspace for me to vent, joke, and entertain.
Some topics I'll likely blog about:
  • Science education and news
  • Geology, hydrology, and earth science
  • Geospatial information systems and remote sensing applications
  • Science literature, both journals and books
  • Life as a PhD student

A little about myself, and what I'm doing...

I'm currently a 30-year old Minnesotan guy with a background in geology - earned my Bachelors in southeast Minnesota, focusing on GIS and aviation science, and my Masters in southwest Missouri, focusing on karst hydrology and geophysics. For the last three years I've been a groundwater protection hydrologist with the Minnesota Department of Health. In a few weeks, I'll be moving to Philadelphia, where I'll be pursuing my PhD in Earth Science at Temple University, focusing again on karst hydrology.

From my time in and out of school, I've learned that I am very much an academia-shaped cog, and I'm in my element when researching and helping others learn. Professorhood is my calling, so join me as I share my adventures here.

Again, welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment