Monday, January 11, 2016

Winter Break

Finally back in Philadelphia after a three week break, which I spent almost entirely out of state.

In Minnesota

Spent lots of time with the family back in Minnesota. We got about a foot of snow while I was staying at my brother's place, so decided to get in some sledding. Also, tunneling through snowbanks.


My sister got me a copper mug for Christmas :D
Copper is my favorite metal and element. She also made me a copper-themed scarf last year (see photo below).

You're never too old for some fun flying toys. This crazy little mini-drone will actually come in handy for teaching GIS and Remote Sensing this semester (it's packed with some little sensors and a camera).

Meeting up with the crew at the Old Spaghetti Factory, then some ice skating at The Depot. Hard to tell, but I'm wearing a scarf with a series of color bands in it which represent the absorption spectrum of copper.

Munchkin: Adventure Time

Met up with my friend Zach at Shadow Falls in St. Paul to do some educational geologizing. We put together some video shots of us exploring the Falls and some of the local rock units. I'm excited to see the final product!

Spent a day or two in St. Paul. Met up with some old coworkers from the Health Department. Their Wheatstone Bridge is pretty great. 


In the Dominican Republic

For the last week of winter break I went to the Dominican Republic with my family. We stayed at a resort in Punta Cana. It was warm and sunny and generally quite tropical. 

Spotted a little island on the way to the Dominican. I wish I knew more about little tropical island geology...

The northern coast of the Dominican. A very long 5-hour flight, especially considering 4 of my infant nephews were onboard.
I spotted this scarp which seemed to extend across the entire country (sorry for poor quality). It must be 50-100 feet tall? I couldn't find any information on it, but it was curious.

Between the long break and the flight, I had plenty of time to finish a few books. Finally finished "The Voyage of the Beagle," which was quite good. I might have to do a review of this book later.
I absolutely loved this book. I'm a huge Discworld fan, and this was just great. Another book worthy of a science review.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was exploring some trails and beaches on some dirt buggies. It was very dusty, so good thing I brought my trusty bandana, which I got a few years ago while on a geology trip around the Big Bend area of Texas, which I wrote about slightly in this old post.

Stopped in a cave while exploring on dirt-buggies. Ah, the limestone!

Stopped at the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment